Skip to main content

Isn't that convenient?

It seems that every day there's a new something invented, engineered or designed with the sole purpose of making life more CONVENIENT. I mean sheesh, there are even (wait for it) CONVENIENCE STORES! Entire stores dedicated to making it easy to buy snacks, drinks, cigarettes, ahem personal items- pretty much whenever you want. These stores are placed CONVENIENTLY in spots that see high traffic and they even have hot food and COFFEE at some of the nicer ones. Some of them never close. CONVENIENT, right?

There are larger stores, some that are open until midnight or later, that sell household supplies, clothes, shoes, groceries, beer, wine, TVs, computers, cell phones...all in one store. There are tech items that you can connect to your house the will control all sorts of things for you. Turn lights on and off, control the temp in your house, turn on the television...all by just saying a few voice commands. CONVENIENT, right?

The other day I was at the grocery store (Do you say grocery store or supermarket? Hmm, that's a post for another day.) but yeah I was in the store and saw their ad for personal shopper services. It's not really a new service but basically for a fee, they will have a personal shopper (aka cashier) do your shopping for you. Oh come on, you guys know that shopping for groceries is not fun. And here's this store offering to do it for you for the same price as a frozen pizza? You send them your list, they do the shopping, bag it all up and it's ready for you to pick up say, after work. Add to that, you don't even have to get out of your car! They will bring them out to you, take your payment and they load them into your car. CONVENIENT! Not gonna lie, I was intrigued, excited at the thought of not having to do it myself! No more staring at the aisles and aisles of items...no more standing in lines...no more hours spent (alright maybe not HOURS but a while) picking out fresh produce. No more...wait a minute. A personal shopper (cashier)/personal shopper is going to choose my fresh fruits and veggies? Yeah see I already told you guys I'm picky about fruits - no bruises, not too ripe, not mushy, ripe enough - see this is where I get stuck with this idea. I'm fine with the shopper picking up boxed or canned goods but produce? Aww heck naw! What if they are in such a rush they just grab and toss the apples and bananas into the shopping cart? (Do you say shopping cart or basket? Hmm, something else for that post for another day.) I may have said no thanks to the shopping service but believe me there were several people who said yes. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against things being CONVENIENT or things that make life a bit easier (MICROWAVES, REMOTE CONTROLS) all I'm saying is that we have really made some shifts towards making things CONVENIENT. Not necessarily a bad thing to have someone shop for you or be able to turn on your lights from outside your house...this is simply an observational post. But to the person who decided to pre-boil eggs, peel them and package them by the dozens, WHERE WERE YOU WHEN MAMA ALICE PUT ME ON EGG DUTY FOR POTATO SALAD! And don't even get me started on deviled eggs...sheesh!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Podcast #1

Yay! I've finally figured out how to get the recordings to show up on my blog. So this one is a actually a test recording. But I'm playing around here, so don't expect radio quality...at least not yet 😜 This first one is a recording of a post currently up on my blog titled Hostage Negotiations. May just add the recorded versions for those who'd rather listen than read. Plus, this new app has some pretty nifty features that I cannot wait to try out! Hostage podcast Peace, Mackgurl

Being Strong Is Not for the Weak

Sometimes you may get tired and fed up. I mean come on, life has a way of testing you…and I mean way worse than any pop quiz you might have had. Sometimes the test starts small. Broke a nail after a fresh manicure? Hit your shin on the corner of the bed? (ouch). Then maybe it ramps up to you dropping your brand new cell phone face down on the pavement…while trying to put on the screen protector. Ugh! That sucks, right? Then there are household bills...sure you have some, right?  Yeah, they eat away a good chunk of your paycheck but you’re managing. Then a major appliance dies…then some shingles fall off your roof.. Sucks but ok. It seems like one thing after another after another. Sigh... but somehow you’re standing strong and making do, holding on. And then…car issues start happening…flat tires, brakes need replacing and then transmission blows! What?!! But you’ve got to be strong right? You’re an adult and you can and have to deal with these things. You can manage, right? Yeah? So w

Oscar Chronicles - All By Myself

  Hola, mis amigos. I'm not going to ask if you missed me because - well, I already know you did. But more than that, I'm not going to ask because I'm sad, angry and hungry. Okay, perhaps I'm always interested in some snacks...Anyway, your Oscar is sad. Why? Is because a couple of weeks ago mi persona favorito decided to remodel his room. No really! He took all of the things out of the room - even my bed! At first I was angry thinking that he was kicking me out! He even took down his posters and emptied his closet! But then I started seeing him bringing some stuff back. Several pairs of his zapatos, some shirts and chaquetas. Some things he even put in the basura! Things that were too small or too old - you know how they do, right? So yes,  A MAJOR CLEANING. His room was like SUPER CLEAN.  He and his Papa also bought in new stuff. New zapatos, shirts, pants. The new stuff he put into a new bag. Nice! Good storage. It even has wheels!! So he can move it around a lot easi