Skip to main content

Days of Knights

Chivalry...what does that look like to you? Are you a fan of this mindset? Hey guys - do you still perform chivalrous acts or...? Huh? You're not sure what chivalry is??!! Alright, no worries. Without getting to webster-pedia-ish, chivalry is basically the acts, traits, characteristics that make a man a gentleman. Sure there's more to it historically (think knights, damsels, laying coats over puddles so ladies don't mess up their shoes...I'm not kidding. Men used to do that). But in a nutshell, it's the whole idea of what makes a man a gentleman. No not your shoes or your clothes, but how you act around a lady...how you treat a lady.
Hmm, you're still not sure what I mean?  

Ok, fellas, well when you go out on a date, do you open doors for her (car doors, restaurant doors)? When you go to dinner, do you pull out her chair and seat her first before taking your seat? Being chivalrous also entails performing acts of courage (getting between her and a speeding car, keeping her safe from harm while she's with you) or just being proactively nice, especially to ladies.

Some say that chivalry is dead...that it's a lost art. But why?! Is it a generational thing? I know for a fact my grandfather was the epitome of a chivalrous gentleman. He always opened the doors for my grandmother - car doors, house doors, restaurant doors. Actually, he opened doors and held doors for ladies in general. My Papa (grandfather) usually did just about all of the driving, too. Now my Mama Alice (grandmother) had her license and a car but she also had Papa. He felt she shouldn't have to drive if he was around to do so. Oh and when it came to chores, there were some things that young ladies were not supposed to do. Wait now - it wasn't that he felt young ladies were incapable of the tasks but they weren't for ladies to do if a young man (or a grandpa) were available. So you can imagine his response to my request to me learning how to mow the lawn...NO! LOL

Personally, I don't think chivalry is a completely lost art. But I do see it practiced less and less. Part of it might be because women are - and rightly so - more independent now. Maybe there's this thought process that women can do all and some say they DON'T NEED A MAN. Ugh! I've actually heard some ladies say exactly that. I mean sure I want my daughters to be able to take care of themselves (change a tire, take out the garbage, wash their cars, etc.) but I also want them to know that it isn't a sign of weakness, nor is it a sign of dependence if a man does these things and more for them.

Ladies, if a man holds the door for you, opens your car door (getting in and out of the car), walks you to your door after a date, insists you take his coat if it's cold, walks on the side of the sidewalk closest to the street or sits facing the door when you go out to dinner - it doesn't mean he's a control freak. It means he's respectful. He's CHIVALROUS, which means he clearly sees you for the lady you are -  and a gentleman knows how to treat a lady.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Podcast #1

Yay! I've finally figured out how to get the recordings to show up on my blog. So this one is a actually a test recording. But I'm playing around here, so don't expect radio quality...at least not yet 😜 This first one is a recording of a post currently up on my blog titled Hostage Negotiations. May just add the recorded versions for those who'd rather listen than read. Plus, this new app has some pretty nifty features that I cannot wait to try out! Hostage podcast Peace, Mackgurl

Being Strong Is Not for the Weak

Sometimes you may get tired and fed up. I mean come on, life has a way of testing you…and I mean way worse than any pop quiz you might have had. Sometimes the test starts small. Broke a nail after a fresh manicure? Hit your shin on the corner of the bed? (ouch). Then maybe it ramps up to you dropping your brand new cell phone face down on the pavement…while trying to put on the screen protector. Ugh! That sucks, right? Then there are household bills...sure you have some, right?  Yeah, they eat away a good chunk of your paycheck but you’re managing. Then a major appliance dies…then some shingles fall off your roof.. Sucks but ok. It seems like one thing after another after another. Sigh... but somehow you’re standing strong and making do, holding on. And then…car issues start happening…flat tires, brakes need replacing and then transmission blows! What?!! But you’ve got to be strong right? You’re an adult and you can and have to deal with these things. You can manage, right? Yeah? So w

Oscar Chronicles - All By Myself

  Hola, mis amigos. I'm not going to ask if you missed me because - well, I already know you did. But more than that, I'm not going to ask because I'm sad, angry and hungry. Okay, perhaps I'm always interested in some snacks...Anyway, your Oscar is sad. Why? Is because a couple of weeks ago mi persona favorito decided to remodel his room. No really! He took all of the things out of the room - even my bed! At first I was angry thinking that he was kicking me out! He even took down his posters and emptied his closet! But then I started seeing him bringing some stuff back. Several pairs of his zapatos, some shirts and chaquetas. Some things he even put in the basura! Things that were too small or too old - you know how they do, right? So yes,  A MAJOR CLEANING. His room was like SUPER CLEAN.  He and his Papa also bought in new stuff. New zapatos, shirts, pants. The new stuff he put into a new bag. Nice! Good storage. It even has wheels!! So he can move it around a lot easi