Skip to main content

Attitude

Word on the street says that Black women who sport natural frocks have attitude. I have to agree with that sentiment. Now, now, my fellow natural sisters - before you get too upset let me say that in this case "attitude" is equated with confidence. If you think about it, it makes sense. It takes a bit of confidence to rock a style that not only goes against the norm, but smacks conformity square on the mouth!(Like that visual? Me, too!) Hmm, example time:
Saturday Morning
The woman who comes to work everyday with the "accepted" hair coiffure wakes up one Saturday morning and decides - she's had all the "creamy crack" she can stand and says ENOUGH. So she goes to the salon or even the barbershop and gets the BC (no, not before Christ - big chop - sorry, couldn't resist). You can't tell me this doesn't take MAJOR confidence. So she has all weekend to get used to her TWA (teeny weeny afro). So what does she do? Does she lament her decision to BC? Not this diva (and she is, you know). She proceeds to purchase some earrings - big ones - and scarves and a few other hair accessories.
Monday Morning
Our newly BC'ed diva struts out the front door on her way to the office. When she arrives the first thing she hears is "Oh my God!" What happened?" "What did you do to your hair?"  To which she replies, "I set it free." (Nice...) Those remarks were from the women in her office. And to be fair, most of the remarks were shocked responses...not mean and catty (ok maybe a couple were mean). The men in her office? Most stared, some smiled and one bold solider walked up to her and said "You used to have such pretty hair. Why would you do a thing like THIS to yourself?" Her response, "Because, I can."
'Nuff said...

So I had my own fun, fearless moment and decided to rock my flat twists (flat twists are similar to cornrows except you use two strands of hair instead of the three needed to make a braid/cornrow) to work yesterday. It was like I had a large elephant on my head, a large pink elephant that no one wanted to mention, lol. Well, that's okay. I prefer that response to a chorous of "What are you wearing on your head?" (the twists, not the elephant, keep up) And what am I rockin' today? Did I cave to the silent pressure to undo these twists? Not a chance. In fact, I stepped it up a notch. I am sporting a full head of twists WITH a newsboy cap sitting jauntily on top. (SMILE)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Podcast #1

Yay! I've finally figured out how to get the recordings to show up on my blog. So this one is a actually a test recording. But I'm playing around here, so don't expect radio quality...at least not yet 😜 This first one is a recording of a post currently up on my blog titled Hostage Negotiations. May just add the recorded versions for those who'd rather listen than read. Plus, this new app has some pretty nifty features that I cannot wait to try out! Hostage podcast Peace, Mackgurl

Being Strong Is Not for the Weak

Sometimes you may get tired and fed up. I mean come on, life has a way of testing you…and I mean way worse than any pop quiz you might have had. Sometimes the test starts small. Broke a nail after a fresh manicure? Hit your shin on the corner of the bed? (ouch). Then maybe it ramps up to you dropping your brand new cell phone face down on the pavement…while trying to put on the screen protector. Ugh! That sucks, right? Then there are household bills...sure you have some, right?  Yeah, they eat away a good chunk of your paycheck but you’re managing. Then a major appliance dies…then some shingles fall off your roof.. Sucks but ok. It seems like one thing after another after another. Sigh... but somehow you’re standing strong and making do, holding on. And then…car issues start happening…flat tires, brakes need replacing and then transmission blows! What?!! But you’ve got to be strong right? You’re an adult and you can and have to deal with these things. You can manage, right? Yeah? So w

Oscar Chronicles - All By Myself

  Hola, mis amigos. I'm not going to ask if you missed me because - well, I already know you did. But more than that, I'm not going to ask because I'm sad, angry and hungry. Okay, perhaps I'm always interested in some snacks...Anyway, your Oscar is sad. Why? Is because a couple of weeks ago mi persona favorito decided to remodel his room. No really! He took all of the things out of the room - even my bed! At first I was angry thinking that he was kicking me out! He even took down his posters and emptied his closet! But then I started seeing him bringing some stuff back. Several pairs of his zapatos, some shirts and chaquetas. Some things he even put in the basura! Things that were too small or too old - you know how they do, right? So yes,  A MAJOR CLEANING. His room was like SUPER CLEAN.  He and his Papa also bought in new stuff. New zapatos, shirts, pants. The new stuff he put into a new bag. Nice! Good storage. It even has wheels!! So he can move it around a lot easi