Skip to main content

Bad hair day?

Sister girls...let's talk about serious matter facing most of us on a daily basis - HAIR. Oh, you're laughing? You don't think this is a serious matter? Don't believe me, huh? Okay well, I bet everyone of you knows exactly where to locate your nearest beauty supply store. Heck, most of you know when they are going to deliver the newest shipment of your favorite hair product - or products if you're a PJ (product junkie). Still not convinced it's an important topic? Well girls, it is mentioned in the Bible. I'm paraphrasing here but wasn't it mentioned that our hair was our "crowning glory"? Still not on board? Ok, go into your bathroom, find your husband's/boyfriend's clippers and shave it all off...No? Didn't think so.

Well, I didn't go into the bathroom and shave it off but I did go to a salon and have all of my relaxed hair chopped off. This is known as the BIG CHOP and was the first step in my natural hair journey.

I left the salon with a little more than a few inches of very curly hair. I admit I was a little bit in shock BUT (and isn't there always a but?) I was also in awe of the curls that I had. It was wonderful. I thought about not having to run from nature's fury...aka rain, wind, etc... I thought about not having to hunt for a shower cap in order to take a shower. I thought about all the time and $$$ that I would save by not having to spend hours at the hair salon. It was GREAT!!! So it was on this puffy cloud of happiness that I floated home - smack into reality. My husband hated. Absolutely hated it. Now, I didn't have long hair before, but it was STRAIGHT - ok and it was longer than what I came home with. He hated it but I loved it! It was liberating and funky!

Fast forward 4 years and I am still free of the "creamy crack" (hair relaxer). I've had some slips along the way so my hair isn't as long as I'd thought it would be by now. However, I take full responsibility for that. I let others ideals of what MY hair should look like, influence my decisions. I would flat iron my iron - literally fry it straight - just to please those who were apparently offended by the hair that I was born with. I would hide it away under wigs and weaves so that I could have the look that most felt was acceptable. As a result, my hair was the one who took offense. It said "fine. You don't appreciate the myriad of curlicues and corkscrews then I will just be straight!" And that's exactly what it did. The last flat ironing session resulted in several inches of straight hair-permanently straight hair - better known as heat damaged hair. When I wet my hair, I expected to see my beloved ringlets. WRONG! My hair had given me exactly what it thought I wanted - straight hair, but only about half way down. So, I had a decision to make - keep frying or get ready to lose some inches. So, "OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!" I mean off with some inches!
And the journey begins - again...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Podcast #1

Yay! I've finally figured out how to get the recordings to show up on my blog. So this one is a actually a test recording. But I'm playing around here, so don't expect radio quality...at least not yet 😜 This first one is a recording of a post currently up on my blog titled Hostage Negotiations. May just add the recorded versions for those who'd rather listen than read. Plus, this new app has some pretty nifty features that I cannot wait to try out! Hostage podcast Peace, Mackgurl

Being Strong Is Not for the Weak

Sometimes you may get tired and fed up. I mean come on, life has a way of testing you…and I mean way worse than any pop quiz you might have had. Sometimes the test starts small. Broke a nail after a fresh manicure? Hit your shin on the corner of the bed? (ouch). Then maybe it ramps up to you dropping your brand new cell phone face down on the pavement…while trying to put on the screen protector. Ugh! That sucks, right? Then there are household bills...sure you have some, right?  Yeah, they eat away a good chunk of your paycheck but you’re managing. Then a major appliance dies…then some shingles fall off your roof.. Sucks but ok. It seems like one thing after another after another. Sigh... but somehow you’re standing strong and making do, holding on. And then…car issues start happening…flat tires, brakes need replacing and then transmission blows! What?!! But you’ve got to be strong right? You’re an adult and you can and have to deal with these things. You can manage, right? Yeah? So w

Oscar Chronicles - All By Myself

  Hola, mis amigos. I'm not going to ask if you missed me because - well, I already know you did. But more than that, I'm not going to ask because I'm sad, angry and hungry. Okay, perhaps I'm always interested in some snacks...Anyway, your Oscar is sad. Why? Is because a couple of weeks ago mi persona favorito decided to remodel his room. No really! He took all of the things out of the room - even my bed! At first I was angry thinking that he was kicking me out! He even took down his posters and emptied his closet! But then I started seeing him bringing some stuff back. Several pairs of his zapatos, some shirts and chaquetas. Some things he even put in the basura! Things that were too small or too old - you know how they do, right? So yes,  A MAJOR CLEANING. His room was like SUPER CLEAN.  He and his Papa also bought in new stuff. New zapatos, shirts, pants. The new stuff he put into a new bag. Nice! Good storage. It even has wheels!! So he can move it around a lot easi