Skip to main content

Cellular Data

DNA Testing...I know you've seen the adverts for the different ways to see exactly where you come from...to find out about your ancestors...your roots...what your "PEOPLE" looked like - or might have looked like. I'm talking many many generations back. What would happen if you do this cheek swab/blood test thing and find out something you were not prepared for? 

Suppose you do the test and find out that your parents that have raised you your whole life, came to all your dance recitals...little league games...bandaged all your scrapes, cuts and bruises...taught you to drive...cried as you walked across the stages for your high school and college graduations...those 2 people who you love sooooo much...based on the DNA test results ARE NOT YOUR PARENTS?! I'm talking no relationship at all. You start to think, man your whole life was a lie...why didn't they tell you that you were adopted? Wait, were you adopted? Or maybe - OMG were you KIDNAPPED?! Switched at birth???Alright alright, whoa... let's  hope at the worst you were adopted and they just couldn't bring themselves to tell you. Sucks but at least you won't have to wonder if you've ever been the face on any milk cartons...

Or let's suppose that you have been receiving minority presence grants/scholarships as a Black student attending a predominately white university. Now you've been Black your whole life but you do the test and good old DNA4ME shows you have ZERO African ancestry! You have tons of Native American, Scandinavian, Irish, Polynesian...see what I'm saying? Mind blown! Do you divulge what you've found out or keep quiet and keep getting those grants/scholarships? Hmm wonder if they'd make you pay it all back if they knew?

Beyond all of that, my biggest worry about doing a DNA ancestor thingy is the fact that even more of my personal data- basically what makes me ME - would be out there...stored somewhere by someone with access to it. Is it safe? See, this is where my conspiracy theory mind starts spinning thoughts like:

  1. Who has access to my DNA once I submit it for testing?
  2. Are the results true?
  3.  Who has access to the results? 
  4. Can they use the results - my DNA - and say, plant it at a crime scene? Use it for experiments??!!

Hmm, I think I'm going to hold off for now on getting this test done. I mean I'd like to one day know where my ancestors were from and because I'm curious I will more than likely do a cheek swab, blood test thingy and submit it to DNAISME... one day - but not today.

What about you? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Podcast #1

Yay! I've finally figured out how to get the recordings to show up on my blog. So this one is a actually a test recording. But I'm playing around here, so don't expect radio quality...at least not yet 😜 This first one is a recording of a post currently up on my blog titled Hostage Negotiations. May just add the recorded versions for those who'd rather listen than read. Plus, this new app has some pretty nifty features that I cannot wait to try out! Hostage podcast Peace, Mackgurl

Being Strong Is Not for the Weak

Sometimes you may get tired and fed up. I mean come on, life has a way of testing you…and I mean way worse than any pop quiz you might have had. Sometimes the test starts small. Broke a nail after a fresh manicure? Hit your shin on the corner of the bed? (ouch). Then maybe it ramps up to you dropping your brand new cell phone face down on the pavement…while trying to put on the screen protector. Ugh! That sucks, right? Then there are household bills...sure you have some, right?  Yeah, they eat away a good chunk of your paycheck but you’re managing. Then a major appliance dies…then some shingles fall off your roof.. Sucks but ok. It seems like one thing after another after another. Sigh... but somehow you’re standing strong and making do, holding on. And then…car issues start happening…flat tires, brakes need replacing and then transmission blows! What?!! But you’ve got to be strong right? You’re an adult and you can and have to deal with these things. You can manage, right? Yeah? So w

Oscar Chronicles - All By Myself

  Hola, mis amigos. I'm not going to ask if you missed me because - well, I already know you did. But more than that, I'm not going to ask because I'm sad, angry and hungry. Okay, perhaps I'm always interested in some snacks...Anyway, your Oscar is sad. Why? Is because a couple of weeks ago mi persona favorito decided to remodel his room. No really! He took all of the things out of the room - even my bed! At first I was angry thinking that he was kicking me out! He even took down his posters and emptied his closet! But then I started seeing him bringing some stuff back. Several pairs of his zapatos, some shirts and chaquetas. Some things he even put in the basura! Things that were too small or too old - you know how they do, right? So yes,  A MAJOR CLEANING. His room was like SUPER CLEAN.  He and his Papa also bought in new stuff. New zapatos, shirts, pants. The new stuff he put into a new bag. Nice! Good storage. It even has wheels!! So he can move it around a lot easi