Skip to main content

How Twitter Helped Me Through Finals

Hello world!

For those of you who don't know (and let's face it, some of you don't care) I have gone back to school. No, not because of downsizing but out of deep-seeded need to finish what I started. Long and somewhat painful story short, I find myself in the untenable position of being an older adult non-traditional student. Which basically means, that I have all the responsibilities of a college student and the added bonuses of being a wife, mom and full-time career woman. (Whew, made me tired just typing that).

I've been trying to finish for a little while now. You know, taking a few hours here and there but last semester I got serious. I took 17 hours! A full-time + 5 hour load. INSANITY. But, I made it through with shining colors and all of my hair intact (smile) So, I figured, if I could do it once, surely I could do it again. I registered for 15 hours this semester - naturally thinking the reduction of 2 hours would ease the load (lol). Wrong! This semester was soooo much harder than the Fall. Why? One of the classes required a 100 hour internship in addition to the class work (and my wife, mom and career woman duties). But perhaps larger than that was the fact that I was enrolled in a Trig/Algebra  math class and a Biochemistry class - BOTH ONLINE. That means that basically, you have to teach yourself. Ugh!

All things considered, I managed really well. At the midterm point, I was holding on to my 4.0 (fist pump ala Tiger Woods!)

Fast forward a few weeks and we arrive at FINALS! Stressed seems like such a mild word for what I was feeling a scant week ago. I had 3 papers to write (total of 30 pages), a portfolio to create and infrastructure policies and procedures and formulas for both chem and math to memorize. So I finished the papers, took the infrastructure final but the math formulas were sticking to my tired brain about as well as if it was pretreated with PAM ! So what did I do? I prayed...a lot. Cried a little and ultimately, called my mother long distance.

Me: "Ma, I really don't want to take this test. The math formulas won't stick...my brain is made of Teflon!"
Mom: "It will be fine. Just relax and do your best. You studied. You prayed. You're covered."
Me: "Ugh! *checking my email* I really don't want to take this tes- AGHHHHHHHHH"
Mom: "Scream, baby. Let the tension out"
Me: "No wait, Ma... *hyperventilating while reading the email that just came in* I just - got an email - saying - that - Idris - Elba is now following me on TWITTER!!!"

I took that thought and that knowledge that Idris Elba was following me on TWITTER and stepped up and took that math test with no problem! Ok, so I didn't remember all the formulas but I did remember IDRIS ELBA. Which helped me to relax tremendously!


By the way, I got an "A" in Math! Prayer works! Thanks Twitter and of course thanks to IDRIS ELBA!!!

Peace!
Mackgurl

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Podcast #1

Yay! I've finally figured out how to get the recordings to show up on my blog. So this one is a actually a test recording. But I'm playing around here, so don't expect radio quality...at least not yet 😜 This first one is a recording of a post currently up on my blog titled Hostage Negotiations. May just add the recorded versions for those who'd rather listen than read. Plus, this new app has some pretty nifty features that I cannot wait to try out! Hostage podcast Peace, Mackgurl

Being Strong Is Not for the Weak

Sometimes you may get tired and fed up. I mean come on, life has a way of testing you…and I mean way worse than any pop quiz you might have had. Sometimes the test starts small. Broke a nail after a fresh manicure? Hit your shin on the corner of the bed? (ouch). Then maybe it ramps up to you dropping your brand new cell phone face down on the pavement…while trying to put on the screen protector. Ugh! That sucks, right? Then there are household bills...sure you have some, right?  Yeah, they eat away a good chunk of your paycheck but you’re managing. Then a major appliance dies…then some shingles fall off your roof.. Sucks but ok. It seems like one thing after another after another. Sigh... but somehow you’re standing strong and making do, holding on. And then…car issues start happening…flat tires, brakes need replacing and then transmission blows! What?!! But you’ve got to be strong right? You’re an adult and you can and have to deal with these things. You can manage, right? Yeah? So w

Oscar Chronicles - All By Myself

  Hola, mis amigos. I'm not going to ask if you missed me because - well, I already know you did. But more than that, I'm not going to ask because I'm sad, angry and hungry. Okay, perhaps I'm always interested in some snacks...Anyway, your Oscar is sad. Why? Is because a couple of weeks ago mi persona favorito decided to remodel his room. No really! He took all of the things out of the room - even my bed! At first I was angry thinking that he was kicking me out! He even took down his posters and emptied his closet! But then I started seeing him bringing some stuff back. Several pairs of his zapatos, some shirts and chaquetas. Some things he even put in the basura! Things that were too small or too old - you know how they do, right? So yes,  A MAJOR CLEANING. His room was like SUPER CLEAN.  He and his Papa also bought in new stuff. New zapatos, shirts, pants. The new stuff he put into a new bag. Nice! Good storage. It even has wheels!! So he can move it around a lot easi