Skip to main content

Happy Anniversary...sort of

It's my tenth anniversary!!! Okay so, I'm off by a couple of weeks but nevertheless, 10 years ago this month, I wrote and published my first blog post. I don't really recall what prompted me to let you take a peak into the psyche that is moi, but I did. It has been an interesting 10 years - some good, some bad, some that fall under the heading of "how the HELL did she survive that" - (no, I haven't told you all of those stories - maybe I will one day. Stay tuned.)

I've missed writing and have been thinking about jumping back in head first (I mean any other way is just boooorrrrrrrrriiiiiiiinnng).  One of the 2 posts I made 10 years ago (ooh so prolific, huh) was about Addiction. No, not drugs, or alcohol but something just as easy to get addicted to: TELEVISION!
 Here's a flashback to April 2007 (cue flashback fade out and wonky music) 
Addictions (excerpt)
CRACK! Okay so I've never actually been exposed to crack but I hear it's pretty bad. :D

Some addictions are harder than others to kick. And not all of them have 12 step programs to help you get over you habit. But maybe they should.

Television - this is one addiction that I should be the poster child for. I absolutely love television or as we addicts call it "t.v.". What??? You call it that, too?!?! Guess that makes you an addict! What is about that box that captivates the attention so much so that you will spend exorbatant amounts of money to ensure that you don't miss an episode of your favorite shows...in some cases dozens of shows. You pay hundreds of dollars on cable or satellite service so that you make sure you have hundreds of channels to watch...you know, just in case.
Personally, I find that I don't even watch most of the channels I have but can't seem to get the strength to cancel any of the ones I don't watch. $150.00/month X 12 months X 200 channels X actual number of channels watched = ADDICTION.

That's not even the worst part. I have more than one t.v. about 5 actually. I mean really,how many does one person need!?!?
And just to be sure that I don't miss an episode of one of my faves, I pay extra for DVRs to record them for me! They record while I work, while I shop, while I sleep (even though I leave at least one on when I sleep).

I'm sure I'm not alone in my struggle with t.v. but where's my self-help group? 12-step program? Nowhere, that's where. Perhaps, the first step is admitting...I LOVE T.V.!!!

UPDATE! I hardly watch TV anymore...well I mean, I do watch on certain days (Empire, Scandal, anyone?) but mostly my addiction has become international. Specifically, I am unabashedly hooked on Korean, Chinese, Japanese and Taiwanese dramas. Most of the time, I watching shows and reading subtitles, lol. Hey, don't knock it. I've even picked up a few words. If you like drama - think US dramas to the 10th power - I challenge you to check out a few. You can watch them on Dramafever or Viki. They both have paid and FREE options.  Me? Oh you mean which one do I use? I have BOTH of them! Yeah, I'm so addicted I CHOOSE to pay for my vices and watch shows on both 😜

So you see, I'm no longer addicted to TV. Instead, you will find me watching one of my fave Kdramas on my tablet, phone or laptop. New vice, similar addiction???  Baby steps, baby steps...🍭

P.S. - Let me know what you think of the new look of the blog.

Peace,
~Mackgurl

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Podcast #1

Yay! I've finally figured out how to get the recordings to show up on my blog. So this one is a actually a test recording. But I'm playing around here, so don't expect radio quality...at least not yet 😜 This first one is a recording of a post currently up on my blog titled Hostage Negotiations. May just add the recorded versions for those who'd rather listen than read. Plus, this new app has some pretty nifty features that I cannot wait to try out! Hostage podcast Peace, Mackgurl

Being Strong Is Not for the Weak

Sometimes you may get tired and fed up. I mean come on, life has a way of testing you…and I mean way worse than any pop quiz you might have had. Sometimes the test starts small. Broke a nail after a fresh manicure? Hit your shin on the corner of the bed? (ouch). Then maybe it ramps up to you dropping your brand new cell phone face down on the pavement…while trying to put on the screen protector. Ugh! That sucks, right? Then there are household bills...sure you have some, right?  Yeah, they eat away a good chunk of your paycheck but you’re managing. Then a major appliance dies…then some shingles fall off your roof.. Sucks but ok. It seems like one thing after another after another. Sigh... but somehow you’re standing strong and making do, holding on. And then…car issues start happening…flat tires, brakes need replacing and then transmission blows! What?!! But you’ve got to be strong right? You’re an adult and you can and have to deal with these things. You can manage, right? Yeah? So w

Oscar Chronicles - All By Myself

  Hola, mis amigos. I'm not going to ask if you missed me because - well, I already know you did. But more than that, I'm not going to ask because I'm sad, angry and hungry. Okay, perhaps I'm always interested in some snacks...Anyway, your Oscar is sad. Why? Is because a couple of weeks ago mi persona favorito decided to remodel his room. No really! He took all of the things out of the room - even my bed! At first I was angry thinking that he was kicking me out! He even took down his posters and emptied his closet! But then I started seeing him bringing some stuff back. Several pairs of his zapatos, some shirts and chaquetas. Some things he even put in the basura! Things that were too small or too old - you know how they do, right? So yes,  A MAJOR CLEANING. His room was like SUPER CLEAN.  He and his Papa also bought in new stuff. New zapatos, shirts, pants. The new stuff he put into a new bag. Nice! Good storage. It even has wheels!! So he can move it around a lot easi