Skip to main content

Old Wives Tales

At work yesterday, I somehow got into a conversation with a coworker about an ice cube.
 Source: http://flickr.com/photos/48600107944@N01/230644097


No, not THAT Ice Cube! THIS ice cube...wait, not quite that large. But the ice cube floating around in your favorite beverage right about now.
Source: Google Maps Google Earth
Anyway, I don't really remember the whole conversation - ok maybe I do - but that's not really the point. The point is by the end of the chat, she informed me that chewing ice gives you anemia. I was completely shocked! ICE? Giving you anemia? So I asked her, "Where did you hear this? Some urban legend or OLD WIVES TALE?"  "No, " she replied "from my doctor." Ok, now I was really concerned~ about a couple things: 1. What sort of doctor was this that he would state that chewing ice causes anemia? My first thought~ a dentist but she assured me that it was her GP and not her dentist.
Before we go any further, let's get a definition of ANEMIA. Oh Webster, we need you!


ANEMIA:Main Entry: ane·mia 

Pronunciation: \ə-ˈnē-mē-ə\
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, from Greek anaimia bloodlessness, from a- + -aimia -emia
Date: 1824
1 a : a condition in which the blood is deficient in red blood cells, inhemoglobin, or in total volume b : ischemia
2 : lack of vitality

Which brings me to concern number 2: What the heck is in ICE that could cause such a condition? From what I recall, ICE is simply frozen water. Now my high school chemistry is a bit rusty but I think water is generally broken down chemically into H2O (hydrogen and oxygen). So if it's okay to drink water (in most places at least) then why would freezing it cause it to be reformulated into something that would rob your blood of vital red blood cells? Perhaps the process of chewing the ICE has something to do with it? 

Frightening, no? I mean I used to joke that all the things that THEY tell us are good for us one day wouldn't be - had they finally gone and put ICE and by virtue of it's composition WATER on a the "bad for you" list?
I went to the MayoClinic - alright, the MayoClinic's website- for an answer. 

Wait - the following interview didn't ACTUALLY happen but if I'd had a chance to speak to a MayoClinic hematologist, it might have. (smile).

Mackgurl: Does Chewing ICE cause anemia or is this another old wives tale? (Old Wives? Hmm)
MayoClinic.com: "...craving and chewing ice (pagophagia) is often associated with iron deficiency anemia..." Source: MayoClinic.com
Mackgurl:  So not a cause of anemia? What a relief, especially since I've just recently increased my H2O intake.So what's the deal with people chewing on ICE?
MayoClinic.com: "...some people with iron deficiency anemia crave and chew ice." Source: MayoClinic.com
Mackgurl: Ah, so that's the correlation (yeah, I can use a big word or two every now and then) So, it's a symptom?
MayoClinic.com: "Results from one study suggest it may be because of ice's pain-relieving properties, since some people with iron deficiency anemia experience tongue pain and inflammation (glossitis)." (Source: MayoClinic.com)
Mackgurl: Wow, thanks so much for clearing that up.
MayoClinic.com: "The same researchers found that ice has a new and better taste to some people who are iron deficient." Source: MayoClinic.com

So, there you have it folks. Another OLD WIVES TALE unraveled. (Old Wives, hmm) Chewing ice does not cause anemia. It may, however, be a symptom of anemia. And, if the ice tastes better to people who suffer from the condition, perhaps that's why they chew it like crazy? Simply because it tastes good to them? Really? Hmm, tastes like water to me...unless, of course, you freeze cherry KOOLAID instead. YUMMY.

Peace,
~Mackgurl

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Podcast #1

Yay! I've finally figured out how to get the recordings to show up on my blog. So this one is a actually a test recording. But I'm playing around here, so don't expect radio quality...at least not yet 😜 This first one is a recording of a post currently up on my blog titled Hostage Negotiations. May just add the recorded versions for those who'd rather listen than read. Plus, this new app has some pretty nifty features that I cannot wait to try out! Hostage podcast Peace, Mackgurl

Being Strong Is Not for the Weak

Sometimes you may get tired and fed up. I mean come on, life has a way of testing you…and I mean way worse than any pop quiz you might have had. Sometimes the test starts small. Broke a nail after a fresh manicure? Hit your shin on the corner of the bed? (ouch). Then maybe it ramps up to you dropping your brand new cell phone face down on the pavement…while trying to put on the screen protector. Ugh! That sucks, right? Then there are household bills...sure you have some, right?  Yeah, they eat away a good chunk of your paycheck but you’re managing. Then a major appliance dies…then some shingles fall off your roof.. Sucks but ok. It seems like one thing after another after another. Sigh... but somehow you’re standing strong and making do, holding on. And then…car issues start happening…flat tires, brakes need replacing and then transmission blows! What?!! But you’ve got to be strong right? You’re an adult and you can and have to deal with these things. You can manage, right? Yeah? So w

Oscar Chronicles - All By Myself

  Hola, mis amigos. I'm not going to ask if you missed me because - well, I already know you did. But more than that, I'm not going to ask because I'm sad, angry and hungry. Okay, perhaps I'm always interested in some snacks...Anyway, your Oscar is sad. Why? Is because a couple of weeks ago mi persona favorito decided to remodel his room. No really! He took all of the things out of the room - even my bed! At first I was angry thinking that he was kicking me out! He even took down his posters and emptied his closet! But then I started seeing him bringing some stuff back. Several pairs of his zapatos, some shirts and chaquetas. Some things he even put in the basura! Things that were too small or too old - you know how they do, right? So yes,  A MAJOR CLEANING. His room was like SUPER CLEAN.  He and his Papa also bought in new stuff. New zapatos, shirts, pants. The new stuff he put into a new bag. Nice! Good storage. It even has wheels!! So he can move it around a lot easi